Monday 15 April 2013

Onion-free Carrot and Celeriac Slaw

Back in the day... pre-onion allergy, I used to LOVE homemade coleslaw. I would eat it in sandwiches, with salad or tucked with some cheese in a jacket (baked) potato. Store bought coleslaw was never the same as the homemade variety (it was a bit artificial-looking and tasting). Then Marks and Spencers and other supermarket started making 'deli' coleslaw that was a pretty spot on replica for something you might make yourself, and thus... life was good!

Alas, most coleslaw includes a hefty heaping of raw onion, which is really one of the worst presentations of onion I could come into contact with. I had to abandon eating it and focus on something else instead. I was a bit miffed. Then one day, I was thinking about the whole issue - I missed one of my favourite foods - and I remembered that in Switzerland, they make a grated celeriac dish that comes in a creamy sauce. This memory prompted me to make my own 'slaw', the recipe for which you will below.

Carrot and Celeriac Slaw on Wholemeal Bread with Cheese and Quorn Slice
Notes: this is one of those dishes you can guess/estimate the quantities needed. Just taste as you go along and see what you think. If you want more 'sauce' add more mayonnaise/Veganaise. The picture I have included is of when I made it and was watching my weight - so less sauce. It is important to leave the slaw to develop for at least half an hour (the longer the better), as some of the juices from the vegetables seep out into the sauce. The slaw will keep in the fridge for a few days. It has a far milder taste that traditional coleslaw due to not using white cabbage or onion.

Ingredients:

Between 1/4 to 1/2 a celeriac, shredded - quantity depends on how much you want to make. I shred/grate mine using the food processor.
Equal quantity of carrot, shredded
Mayonnaise or Veganaise - approx 1 to 2 tablespoons, or more if you want more sauce (you can thin it with milk or milk substitute if necessary).
Lemon juice - a good squeeze or 2
Kelpamare or Maggi, a good shake - I use Kelpamare (http://www.avogel.co.uk/food/kelpamare/) as it does not have MSG in it.
A pinch of sugar - optional, taste before you add... it helps to counteract the lemon juice if it is a bit sharp.
Optional extras: chopped walnuts or pecan nuts, raisins or sultanas (to get them plump and soft, cover in boiling water, then discard the boiling water before use), chopped apple, chopped fresh parsley.

  1. Use a large mixing bowl to combine the shredded celeriac and carrot. If you are using any of the optional extras such as nuts, sultanas or apple then add these now.
  2. Add the mayonnaise/Veganaise, the lemon juice, and the Kelpamare/Maggi to the bowl.
  3. Mix thoroughly together using a large spoon.
  4. Taste the mixture and add more of the Kelpamare/Maggi, if needed. Add the sugar, if needed.
  5. Taste again - adjust if necessary.
  6. Cover the bowl with a plate or some clingfilm/saran wrap and leave for 30 minutes.
  7. Serve. Any unused slaw can be stored in the fridge in a covered container for up to 3 days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment