Saturday 27 April 2013

Easy Green Juice

I really love to juice, well not the actual process so much as the end result; put it this way, I hate the washing up generated by juicing, but I love the results of drinking juice.

Delicious and Healthy Green Juice
I am lucky to be able to use my family's masticating juicer. I always drink my juice fresh from the juicer. If you have a centrifugal juicer, it is especially important to make sure to drink any juice you make within 15 minutes of making it so as to get all that juicy nutritious goodness in you before it starts to oxidise.

In my humble opinion and juice-drinking experience, green juice has a profound effect on the body. I do like other types of juice too and will probably feature some other recipes for juice, but green juice is my go to staple.

I nearly always add a teaspoon of green powder to my green juice. My favourite powder is barleygrass, but I also use wheatgrass and some people like spirulina. You can find these types of powders online or in health food stores. I find barleygrass powder is particularly helpful if you are chronically sick and need some 'support'.

Naturya - barleygrass powder, they also make other green powders
The recipe below is a basic recipe. There are more complicated versions using more ingredients, but this one tastes fairly mild (I don't really like the taste of green juice!), and is simple to prepare. It's also fairly easy to keep these ingredients on hand without breaking the bank.

Juice quanities always vary depending on the actual vegetables/fruit used, but this recipe should make 2 medium glasses or 3 small ones.

Ingredients:

3 large stalks of celery
2 or 3 large green apples - Granny Smith works well or for a sweeter juice use Golden Delicious or similar
3 large handfuls spinach
1/2 lime, squeezed - you can also put the lime into some juicers
1 teaspoon per person of barleygrass powder
Optional - 1 inch peeled ginger

  1. Prepare the fresh ingredients, if necessary. For a masticating juicer, you will probably need to chop the celery and apples.
  2. Juice everything except the barleygrass powder and lime juice.
  3. When you have juiced everything, add the lime juice to the juice container and stir in.
  4. Pour the juice into glasses and stir 1 teaspoon of barleygrass powder into each person's juice.
  5. Drink straight away.
  6. Follow with a glass of water to help flush it through your system.

No comments:

Post a Comment